Wednesday, September 2, 2026

More Tips for Toastmasters




Use visuals. Make sure your visual aids reinforce your message and don’t distract from it.

  I have two chains of thought in this regard:

  A speech without any visual aids other than your words, your person and how you use these together to present and emphasize your message. One of my hobbies is listening to old radio programs. All they had to tell the story was to paint the scenario or picture in your minds eye!   I really enjoy these programs for that reason and this carries into speeches that do this as well. 

The other thought is using slides or props in your speech. I think each method has it place. An example is a “how to” speech can benefit greatly with slides containing photos of what you are talking about.   


Embrace your unique style. Don’t copy the style or gestures of other speakers, as your audience will sense a lack of authenticity. 

Be yourself; no one does that better than you can.  I don’t think this can be over emphasized. I have occasionally copied some small things from other speakers like the slow almost over emphasized way Zig Zigler would  speak.  But I would not try to copy his entire style   Be yourself and you will always be showing your audience the correct person!  



Be prepared for the worst. Murphy’s Law states that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Be prepared by having print-outs of your presentation slides and a copy of your presentation on USB drive.


 We have talked about this in other educational moments. Just think about what if’s. What if the electricity went off? What if the internet went down?  Obviously, there are limits to what you can remedy but have plan b on stand by. Might surprise you how many times you will need it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

More Tips for Toastmasters

Use visuals . Make sure your visual aids reinforce your message and don’t distract from it.   I have two chains of thought in this regard:  ...